I’m going to be working with Ben going forward to continue to have TimThumb be the easiest to use, fastest, most popular and most secure thumbnail script on the Web.
Here are a few enhancements in TimThumb 2.0:
- Includes the ability to take website screenshots if you have Xvfb and CutyCapt installed. (Instructions included how to do this)
- All filters and resizing can be applied to website screenshots.
- The cache directory is now secure and is still public for flexibility across platforms.
- TimThumb creates index files in your cache to prevent directory listings.
- Filenames are more randomized using data that a hacker doesn’t have access to, making it very hard to guess filenames in cache and access them.
- Cache files have a .txt extension which means the web server won’t execute them.
- All cached files have a fixed length record at the beginning which, if a web server tries to execute them, will be interpreted as PHP code and will cause an immediate exit.
- It includes file locking when files are created in cache to avoid conflicts.
- The entire code base has been rewritten and refactored for better code scaleability.
- Lots of other improvements.
So give it a whirl and if you have any suggestions or find any bugs, please file them on the TimThumb issues page. Thanks.